We are pleased to present you with the following collections of bridges and briefly
introduce the background and characteristics of these bridges.
This bridge was originally called the "Pondoland Bridge" and was started in 1948 and completed in 1953. It was built to replace a pontoon system used up till then to cross the Umzimvubu River near the coastal town of Port St Johns in the Transkei area of South Africa. The bridge is 859ft6in in length and has 10 spans of 75ft each, with piers 20ft high. The crown of the road is 26ft4in above the pier caps. The average caisson is 80ft, the deepest is 88ft below cap level and the shallowest is 55ft. The middle span of the bridge was washed away during floods in 1978, and a pontoon re-established during the rebuilding of the bridge. The bridge connects the areas of Eastern Pondoland (the bank from which this photo is taken)with Western Pondoland. There are 300 metre high cliffs on either side of the river near the bridge. These two cliffs are the only coastal cliffs along the entire coast of South Africa, other than Table Mountain in Cape Town.
Post a Comment